Transfer Students

Admission Process

Admission Process

The University of Hartford welcomes applications from students who have earned credit from other institutions of higher education. The University accepts applications on a rolling basis, with the exception of the Hartt School, but encourages all students to apply as early as possible.

Transfer students should apply the semester before their desired entry date. Please have your official transcript sent prior to the conclusion of the semester you are currently enrolled in.


All transfer students must submit:

  • Application
  • Application fee of $35
  • Official collegiate transcripts from all previously attended institutions regardless of achievement or desired credit
  • Students with less than thirty completed semester hours at the time of application must submit their standardized test scores (SAT/ACT) and their official final high school transcript.


Additional Required Documents:

Applicants to The Hartt School
Applicants to all Hartt degree programs will audition and/or interview on Hartt's scheduled audition/interview dates. Only graduate level conducting, music education, artist diploma, and doctoral applicants will need to submit preliminary recordings.

The Hartford Art School
The Hartford Art School requires a portfolio review for admission to its programs of study. For more information visit the Hartford Art School website.

Education Majors
All applicants with 48 or more college credits will be required to successfully complete the Praxis l exam prior to applying. To find a testing site in your area please visit Please contact the Admission Office with any questions.


Transfer Credits

Transfer Credits:

We accept transfer credits that meet the following requirements:

  • Credits were earned at a regionally accredited university or college
  • The course was a 100 level or higher course (i.e. ENG 101 Freshman Composition NOT ENG 098 Preparing for College Writing)
  • The student earned a C- or higher in the course
  • The course covered material that is similar to subject matter offered at the University of Hartford
  • We have received an official transcript from the institution at which the course was taken.
  • We will accept coursework done online as long as the student can provide an official transcript from an accredited institution; the exception is that we cannot accept online lab science coursework.
  • Computer courses are evaluated on their content to determine transferability. We will not accept computer courses that are more than ten years old.

AP credits:

  • Scores of 3, 4, or 5 (4 or 5 for English) are required in order to grant college credit.
  • Students must have official score report sent from College Board.
  • Students can request their official scores at CollegeBoard
  • AP Credit Sheet

CLEP credits:

  • College Level Examination Program
  • Students can only earn up to 27 credits from CLEP testing
  • Testing locations can be found here.
  • Students must have an official score report sent from College Board.
  • CLEP Sheet

IB - International
Baccalaureate credits:

  • Students can earn up to 12 credits from IB work.
  • The University of Hartford only accepts Higher Level subjects in which the students earns a score of 4-7.
  • IB Sheet

The University of Hartford may consider college credit through DANTES (Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support) and LINCS (Learning in Non-Credit Settings). Testing and further information regarding each program can be found by contacting the Center for Graduate and Adult Academic Services at 860-768-4371.

Credit may also be granted for service-connected learning experiences as recommended by the A.C.E. Guide for Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Forces. A maximum of 15 credits may be earned through A.C.E.

Credit from outside the United States will need to be evaluated by a NACES Member. To learn more about the participating organizations please visit their website at:


The University of Hartford ONLY accepts credits from institutions that are regionally accredited. This is different from state or independent bodies.


Transfer Credit Equivalencies

Transfer Credit Equivalencies

The University of Hartford continues to strengthen its relationship with two-year schools by exploring and establishing transfer credit agreements to ease the transition for transfer students. Please explore the schools below to learn how credits transfer into the University of Hartford. The evaluation of transfer credits is conducted by the Office of Admission however the final determination of how the transfer credits will apply to your degree program will be determined by the academic department. Please check back frequently for further updates to the schools and credit information.

Cuyahoga Community College

Assc of Arts to Hartt Jazz Program

Gateway Community College

General Credit Equivalencies

Northwestern CT
Community College

General Credit Equivalencies

NCCC to History Agreement

Schenectady County
Community College

Articulation Agreement


Admitted Transfer Students

Admitted Transfer Students

If you have been offered admission to the University of Hartford, congratulations! You are one of approximately two-hundred students who decide to transfer to the University of Hartford each year. Choosing the University of Hartford will offer you the best of both worlds!

  • Opportunity to learn and actively participate in a small classroom setting of approximately 20-25 students and get to know your professors
  • The chance to get involved in any of our student clubs and organizations
  • Explore a different country by studying abroad
  • Live on a beautiful suburban campus with a river running through it
  • Easy access to the city of Hartford with hundreds of internship opportunities
  • Meet new people from all over the world and so much more!!


Frequently Asked Questions


Who qualifies as a transfer student?

If you are or have taken courses at a postsecondary institution following high school graduation, the University of Hartford considers you a transfer student. There is no minimum credit limit to qualify as a transfer student.

Which of my courses will transfer into
the University of Hartford?
  • have been completed at a regionally accredited degree-granting institution
  • Regionally accrediting
    institutional bodies:

    MSA-Middle States Association of
    Colleges & Schools

    NASC-Northwest Association of
    Colleges & Schools

    NCA- North Central Association of
    Colleges & Schools

    NEASC-New England Association of
    Schools & Colleges

    SACS-Southern Association of
    Colleges & Schools

    WASC-Western Association of
    Schools & Colleges

  • are freshman (100) level or higher and are deemed compatible or equivalent to a University of Hartford course
  • have been completed with a grade of “C-“ or higher

Upon request, students may be required to submit course descriptions, syllabi or additional information regarding a specific course before the course can be accepted for transfer.

Will my grade point average transfer in addition to my courses?

No. Grades do not transfer, only credits will transfer.

When will I receive my transfer evaluation?

Students will receive their transfer credit evaluation two to three weeks after their acceptance, with the exception of a few programs. If it has been more than three weeks since your acceptance and you have not received your transfer credit evaluation, please contact the Admission Office at 860-768-4296.

Will all my transferable credits apply to my degree program?

Not necessarily. The Undergraduate Admission Office will determine which credits will transfer into the University. The college evaluator for your school or college will determine how your credits may apply to your program.

Do you offer financial assistance for transfer students?

Yes, students must be attending full-time, a US citizen or Permanent Resident, and without a previously earned Bachelor's degree to be considered for non-need based aid. Eligibility is contingent upon the timeliness of your application for admission and the availability of funds.

    Transfer students are eligible for one of the following:
  • Artistic Merit Scholarship
    (based on art portfolio review for art programs)
  • Performing Arts Scholarship
    (based on audition/interview for music, dance & theatre programs)
  • Athletic Scholarship
    (based on athletic ability)
  • Alumni Grant
    (based on academic achievement)
  • Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship
    (based on nomination/academic achievement)
  • President to President Scholarship
    (based on nomination/academic achievement)

Students enrolled in The Hartt School are ineligible for academic scholarships and academic grants (See Talent Scholarships for more information regarding scholarships for Hartt School students.)

All students who file the Free Application for Federal Student Assistance (FAFSA) will be considered for additional need based funds . We recommend filing online through the federal government website For best consideration, file by February 1st prior to the academic year for which you wish to receive financial aid.

If you miss the deadline, you may still apply for financial aid, but some funds may be unavailable. Applications for aid will continue to be processed as long as funds are available. If you have not yet applied, do so immediately.

I don't want credit for courses I completed at another institution. Am I still required to submit the transcript?

Yes, if you have attended any post secondary institution, regardless of grades achieved or desired credit, you are required to submit an official transcript. Failure to submit or disclose prior attendance may result in withdrawal of your application.

What other types of credit will you consider?

Please see the TRANSFER CREDITS section

What is the next step if I have been granted admission to the University of Hartford?


Admission as a part-time student:

If you have been admitted as a part-time student, you will need to contact the appropriate college evaluator to discuss your credits and register for classes. Please contact the Office of Admission if you need contact information for your college evaluator.

Admission as a full-time student:

If you have been admitted as a full-time student, you will need to submit your tuition deposit packet. This payment secures your housing, financial assistance and place in the entering class. You will need to submit your tuition deposit packet and payment before you are able to register for classes.

I only attended one institution since I graduated high school and I have since withdrawn. Do I still need to submit a transcript? Am I considered a transfer student?

Yes, if you have attended any post secondary institution, even if you have withdrawn, you are required to submit an official transcript. You are considered a transfer student unless deemed otherwise through a review of the transcript. Failure to submit or disclose prior attendance may result in withdrawal of your application.

Have you received your transfer articulation?

If yes, please contact the appropriate college evaluator for the program in which you have been accepted. Your college evaluator will explain which credits may apply to your degree program and will assist you with registration for classes.

Can I take classes as a non-matriculated student?

Yes, students can take up to 15 credits as a non-matriculated student. Please contact the Registrar's Office to register for classes at: 860-768-4999.

Get in Touch

200 Bloomfield Avenue     |     West Hartford, CT 06117     |     800.947.4303
Back to Top