HOME / APPLYING / Transfer / FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Who qualifies as a transfer student?

If you are or have taken courses at a postsecondary institution following high school graduation, the University of Hartford considers you a transfer student. There is no minimum credit limit to qualify as a transfer student.

Which of my courses will transfer into the University of Hartford?
  1. »  Courses that have been completed at a regionally accredited degree-granting institution
  2. »  Courses that are freshman (100) level or higher and are deemed compatible or equivalent to a University of Hartford course
  3. »  Courses that have been completed with a grade of “C-“ or higher
Will my grade point average transfer in addition to my courses?

No. Grades do not transfer, only credits will transfer.

When will I receive my transfer evaluation?

Students will receive their transfer credit evaluation two to three weeks after their acceptance, with the exception of a few programs. If it has been more than three weeks since your acceptance and you have not received your transfer credit evaluation, please contact the Admission Office at 860-768-4296.

Will all my transferable credits apply to my degree program?

Not necessarily. The Undergraduate Admission Office will determine which credits will transfer into the University. The college evaluator for your school or college will determine how your credits may apply to your program.

Do you offer financial assistance for transfer students?

Yes, students must be attending full-time, a US citizen or Permanent Resident, and without a previously earned Bachelor's degree to be considered for non-need based aid. Eligibility is contingent upon the timeliness of your application for admission and the availability of funds.

Transfer students are eligible for one of the following:

  1. »  Artistic Merit Scholarship (based on art portfolio review for art programs)
  2. »  Performing Arts Scholarship (based on audition/interview for music, dance & theatre programs)
  3. »  Athletic Scholarship (based on athletic ability)
  4. »  Alumni Grant (based on academic achievement)
  5. »  Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship (based on nomination/academic achievement)
  6. »  President to President Scholarship (based on nomination/academic achievement)

Students enrolled in The Hartt School are ineligible for academic scholarships and academic grants (See Talent Scholarships for more information regarding scholarships for Hartt School students.)

All students who file the Free Application for Federal Student Assistance (FAFSA) will be considered for additional need based funds . We recommend filing online through the federal government website www.fafsa.gov. For best consideration, file by February 1st prior to the academic year for which you wish to receive financial aid.

If you miss the deadline, you may still apply for financial aid, but some funds may be unavailable. Applications for aid will continue to be processed as long as funds are available. If you have not yet applied, do so immediately.

I don't want credit for courses I completed at another institution. Am I still required to submit the transcript?

Yes, if you have attended any post secondary institution, regardless of grades achieved or desired credit, you are required to submit an official transcript. Failure to submit or disclose prior attendance may result in withdrawal of your application.

What other types of credit will you consider?

Please see the Transfer Credit section

Admission as a part-time student:

If you have been admitted as a part-time student, you will need to contact the appropriate college evaluator to discuss your credits and register for classes. Please contact the Office of Admission if you need contact information for your college evaluator.

Admission as a full-time student:

If you have been admitted as a full-time student, you will need to submit your tuition deposit packet. This payment secures your housing, financial assistance and place in the entering class. You will need to submit your tuition deposit packet and payment before you are able to register for classes.

I only attended one institution since I graduated high school and I have since withdrawn. Do I still need to submit a transcript? Am I considered a transfer student?

Yes, if you have attended any post secondary institution, even if you have withdrawn, you are required to submit an official transcript. You are considered a transfer student unless deemed otherwise through a review of the transcript. Failure to submit or disclose prior attendance may result in withdrawal of your application.

Have you received your transfer articulation?

If yes, please contact the appropriate college evaluator for the program in which you have been accepted. Your college evaluator will explain which credits may apply to your degree program and will assist you with registration for classes.

Can I take classes as a non-matriculated student?

Yes, students can take up to 15 credits as a non-matriculated student. Please contact the Registrar's Office to register for classes at: 860-768-4999.