For many students, loans are an important part of a financing plan designed to help meet the cost of
a University of Hartford education. Repayment schedules allow families to spread the costs not met by
family resources or other forms of financial assistance over as many as 10 years.
The loans described below are backed by the federal government and insured through a state or
national guaranty agency.
Federal Stafford Loan
The Federal Stafford Loan is a low-interest education loan that must be repaid. As an undergraduate,
you may borrow according to the schedule below to an aggregate loan limit of $23,000:
- $3,500 for freshman year (0-23 credits)
- $4,500 for sophomore year (24-53 credits)
- $5,500 thereafter (54+ credits) per year
Stafford loans can be subsidized and/or unsubsidized. Subsidized Stafford Loans have the principal
and interest on the loan deferred while you are enrolled at least half-time and during the six-month
grace period following graduation. Interest is paid by the federal government while you are enrolled
and during the grace period.
If you are not eligible for a need-based subsidized Federal Stafford Loan and the annual loan limit
of the Federal Stafford Loan has not been reached, you may be eligible for the unsubsidized loan.
However, it is important to keep the following in mind:
- Interest is your responsibility from the date of disbursement.
- You may repay principal and interest, make interest payments only,
or defer both principal and interest payments while enrolled at least half time.
- If you defer principal and interest payments, the interest will
continue to accrue and will be added to the principal.
Supplemental Loan Programs
In addition to grants, scholarships and loans offered through the Office of Student Financial Assistance, some families are interested in learning more about supplemental loan programs for which they may qualify. Many lenders will offer loans for up to the full cost of attendance minus any financial assistance received. Click here for information regarding recommended loan programs.
||Stafford Loan Guidelines:
- Variable interest rate (adjusted annually) capped at 8.25%. The new variable
loan rate is effective each July 1.
- Up to a 1% guarantee fee and a 3% federal origination fee.
- Repayment term is up to 10 years and repayment begins 6 months after you graduate,
leave or drop below half-time status.
- If you are a first-time borrower at the University, you must complete an entrance interview requirement.